Women’s soccer team begins season 1–1–1

Tartans see mixed success in the first two weeks of play

After two weeks of competition and three games, Carnegie Mellon’s women’s soccer team finds itself with an odd record: one loss, one win, one tie, and only three goals to its name.

“We are a young team and a small team,” said head coach Sue Willard. “Many of our veterans lack on-field experience.”

The women opened their 2006 season at the Ohio Northern Classic in Ada, Ohio, on Saturday, September 2, against Otterbein College. Kept scoreless, the Tartans fell to the Cardinals 1–0. Otterbein’s goal was scored in the 24th minute of the game when senior defender Lauren Thompson scored off a corner kick from Kelli Peirano.

The Tartans were unable to find the back of the net, although they out-shot the Cardinals three to two and had 10 corner kicks to Otterbein’s four. Otterbein goalkeeper Annelise Erpenbeck had two saves from shots by sophomore midfielder Laura Steidel and junior midfielder/forward Jessica Howard. Tartan sophomore goalkeeper Christie Adams had one save in the game.

The next day the Tartans were able to put down Ohio Northern University 3–2 to earn their first win of the season.

Howard scored the first Carnegie Mellon goal in the 36th minute of the game when she placed a low shot to the right side of the net past the Polar Bears goalkeeper, junior Barbie Krieger.

Sophomore midfielder Mary Ashe made it 2–0 six minutes later with a header off a cross from junior defender Amanda Rose. Five minutes later, Ohio Northern senior Diana Smith scored the Polar Bears’ first goal off a corner kick.

Ohio Northern first-year Angie Pisut tied the game up in the 67th minute when she converted a penalty kick into a goal. The Tartans responded, however, as Howard scored again seven minutes later off a pass across the middle of the field from junior forward Kasey Stever, bringing the score to 3–2 and securing the Tartan victory.

On Wednesday the Tartans faced Westminster College in New Wilmington, Pa. Although the Tartans out-shot the Titans 20 to 14 and had 10 corner kicks while Westminster had none, the Tartans were unable to get past the Titans’ first-year goalkeeper, Lindsay Mellott, and the game ended in a 0–0 tie. Mellott had 17 saves during the game while Adams had six.

“We had our chances,” Willard said, “but we didn’t capitalize on the chances that we had.”

The Tartans have their first home game this Tuesday against Capital University at 7:30 p.m. at Gesling Stadium They are home again on Saturday against Juniata College at 6 p.m.