Student dies after car accident on Forbes

Web Update: Wednesday, April 12

A Carnegie Mellon student on her way to a birthday party never made it there.

Sophomore economics major Wei Wei Wang, 19, died this morning from injuries she sustained in a car accident on Forbes Avenue last night.

Wang had just gotten off the bus at the Margaret Morrison bus stop, where witnesses saw her carrying flowers and a birthday cake before walking in front of the bus and into passing traffic.

“She got off the PAT bus. She just ran in front of the bus. My sister tried to put on the brakes but it was just too late,” said Janice Kelly, sister of the driver who struck Wang. Kelly arrived on the scene shortly after the incident occurred to answer questions on behalf of her sister. The driver of the car would not comment.

Paloma Figueroa, a senior psychology major, lives near Margaret Morrison Street. Figueroa was watching television in her house when the accident occurred.

“You feel so helpless,” Figueroa said. “Everybody was pretty upset because they didn’t know who she was.” Figueroa called Carnegie Mellon police at approximately 11:10 pm and then went outside.

“She was unconscious,” Figueroa said, “but she was breathing.”

Police arrived at the scene at approximately 11:30 pm and set up a roadblock across Forbes Avenue near Margaret Morrison Street. Police refused to comment to The Tartan, but spectators said they had heard about the accident and walked down to pray for Wei Wei’s recovery.

The Pittsburgh Collision Unit arrived on the scene at 1:30 Wednesday morning and gathered data from the area.

“We’re speculating right now that the driver probably wasn’t going all that fast,” Connelly said. Yet because Wang landed on her head, the nature of her injury was critical.

Rona Song, sophomore business administration major and Wang’s close friend, arrived back from the hospital at approximately 2:30 this morning.

Officer Connelly said he would file an official report once all the data is collected and the collision unit enters it into a 3D modeling program. The program will determine the force of impact of the car on Wang’s body.