Men’s soccer defeats UAA opponent Emory 2–0

Yesterday, the men’s soccer team took on Emory University at home in its last regular season game, beating the Eagles 2–0. The Tartans finished their regular season 11–5 and 4–3 in the University Athletic Association (UAA). The Eagles dropped to 11–6 for the season and 2–5 in the UAA.

Coming off a three-game losing streak, the Tartans battled the Eagles through a scoreless first half. Tartan sophomore goalkeeper Matthew Bazin and Eagles junior goalkeeper Keith Meehan each had two saves for the half.

Fifteen minutes into the second half, Carnegie Mellon finally put a shot past Meehan to give the Tartans at 1–0 lead with 30 minutes remaining. First-year midfielder Patrick Lutz fed the ball to senior midfielder Will Schlough, who turned and shot the ball through traffic from 18 yards out. The shot was high, over Meehan’s fingertips, and settled in the upper corner of the net. The goal was Schlough’s fifth for the season.

Ten minutes later the Tartans added an insurance goal, bringing the score to 2–0. Lutz brought the ball up the field, and crossed through three Emory defenders to senior Jonathan Browne. Browne’s low shot, sliced into the right corner of the Eagles net, was Browne’s seventh goal this season.

“We had a couple of hard losses that could have gone either way, that we could have won,” Browne said about the Tartans’ recent slump. “Basically, the only thing different between this game and the others is that I told the guys we are playing for pride this time.”

Emory stepped up its offense, matching the Tartans’ eight shots for the half, but was unable to put a shot past Bazin. Bazin had eight saves throughout the game. “The team is tired down after 45 minutes, so you know, we just kept going. [Emory] seemed to get a little bit winded, and we took advantage of our chances,” Browne said.

Even with a two-goal lead, Carnegie Mellon continued to pressure the Emory goal, taking six shots during the last 20 minutes of the game. Schlough’s shot in the 76th minute went just wide and his header a minute later was saved by Meehan. Browne took the last shot of the game in the 85th minute of play, a low shot that ricocheted off the corner post; Browne’s rebound was foiled by Meehan. Meehan had five saves throughout the game.

With the win, the Tartans end a turbulent regular season on a high note. “This season has had a lot of ups and downs,” Browne said. “We definitely had the team to do it this year, to have a better record than we did, but, all in all, I’m proud of everyone that played. Everyone showed that they had heart this season, especially in this last game.”