Men's soccer finishes week 0-1-1

Wednesday?s game against the Penn State?Altoona Lions couldn?t hold a candle to last week?s match. The Tartan men?s soccer team, already considered a second-half team, got off to an even slower start than usual this past Wednesday.

For most of the game, the two teams were evenly matched with equal possession of the ball. The Tartans had many opportunities and shots on goal, but they were shut down by the impressive skills of PSA?s keeper, Tim Wassell. Tartan first-year keeper Matthew Bazin also showcased his skills, as the Lions had almost too many shots on goal for comfort.

In the second half, three yellow cards were given out ? one to CMU, and two to PSA. By the end of the game, fans, players, and coaches grew anxious when the scoreboard still read a dismal 0?0. With that, the teams entered into sudden death overtime.

In the last minute of the first ten-minute bracket, Tartan junior midfielder Sean Filipovitz one-timed a shot off a cross by Andrew Park, but everyone was devastated when the shot went wide right, just past the fingertips of the goalie, and the outside of the goalpost. The second half of overtime started far more intensely, with a fast break by Filipovitz that caught the Lions? defense off guard.

Later on, Tartan senior defender and captain Dan Mastalski had a beautiful free kick that could have won it for the Tartans. However, both Filipovitz?s breakaway and Mastalski?s free kick were saved by the Lion goalkeeper. Afterwards, the second half of overtime had an excruciating number of close calls, but proved to be fruitless, as the game came to a scoreless close.

?It is much tougher to be mentally psyched for mid-week games for obvious reasons,? stated junior forward Andrew Park.

?This game felt much less intense than it should have been considering Altoona was the only team to beat us last year in the regular season. However, we dominated play; we just could not put the ball away.
There is no reason to dwell on this game,? Park continued. ?This Sunday is our conference opener and is very important for us. We need to start thinking about that one.?

Despite the preparation, the team was unable to rebound against the University of Chicago Sunday. Despite only allowing two shots on goal, the Tartans fell 0?1 to lose their first game of the season.
Chicago goalie Keith Crum made five saves to shut out the Tartans, who dropped to 5?1?1 on the season.
Carnegie Mellon looks to rebound this Wednesday night at Gesling at 7:30 pm against Point Park University.